Sunday, November 9, 2008

Generous beauty

Professor Gann has a recent post on compositions that freely give their beauty to listeners, right on the heels of his keynote address at a new music festival where he cites Jonathan Kramer's The Time of Music in connection with the Absolute Present in music. Kramer's book is the first theoretical book that I've read that discusses drones, one of my favorite books, as I've mentioned before. But in addition Gann's post on beauty encapsulates one of the reasons I like drone music so much. The best drones (and the best ambient music generally) provide so much beauty that I feel like I'm wallowing in it. And for all of my inquiring into the elusive whys and wherefores of music, the search for beauty, calm and peace that I get from listening and performing remains one of the constant joys.

No comments: